Friday, February 6, 2015

Calabrese Needlework (Part 1 of 3)

     I've recently (but not really) taken up cross stitching again, and by recently, I mean months ago. I did it pretty often a few years ago for reasons, but I haven't done it much since then. Anyway, I picked it back up because I needed a new way to fill my down time. I found myself getting bored very easily. I started with something simple, a set of angel wings surrounding a Castiel quote from Supernatural. I'm going to turn it into a pillow...eventually. Ha.

     So, as I finished(ish) that one, I wanted to do something more challenging. I was scrolling through the few pictures I have on my phone when the idea hit me. I want to do a needlework portrait of each of the boys from Calabrese (because I love them and fun). Genius idea, if I do say so myself.

     I decided to do Jimmy first. I don't know why, maybe it's because he's the oldest, or maybe it just seemed like the easiest, whatever. Instead of doing one off a promo shot (because common), I went with a picture I took during their Atlanta show back in March 2014.

Here's the photo:


Here's the final project:





76,176 stitches in total, 9 months of work (It's like I grew a baby!), and measuring 18 3/4 inches by 18 3/4 inches. I'm particularly proud of how it turned out. It's awesome if I do say so myself.

                                         Keep scrolling for progress photos and close ups:


















No comments:

Post a Comment