Thursday, June 14, 2012

Stories I Only Tell My Friends

After reading a literary classic, I decided to take a spin in a completely different direction: autobiography. There's been one out for a little while that I've been very interested in picking up, so I did. Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends definitely lived up to all the hype I've been hearing, and then some. In the very beginning, he says he was an 'outsider' before he played one. It was touching, and had just enough humor in it to completely draw me in. I was instantly hooked. He has a way of writing like he's talking directly to you, as if you're there with him when it happened. For example, when he was describing the look and feel of the West Wing set. I felt like I was there looking at right at it. Another thing I really like about Stories I Only Tell My Friends, is that Rob Lowe can present you with stories of failure, and death, and the ups and downs of fame in a way that reaches out to you and makes you feel things, but never is there a feeling that he's asking for sympathy or pity. He simply tells it like it is, good or bad.

In this book, Lowe weaves his way through how his dreams became realities and his battle with alcohol in semi-playful, yet serious way. When he recounts shooting his most dramatic scene of The Outsiders with C. Thomas Howell, he brings you fully into that scene. His description of how Howell helped him get back into the emotion of the scene with a tale of the Curtis brothers family back story is so touching that you can feel the emotion that he felt. I'm not ashamed to say that it was only one of the moments that brought tears to my eyes.

Reading Stories I Only Tell My Friends is entertaining, but also inspiring. If you need inspiration in your life to follow your dreams, read this book. And to Mr. Lowe, if ever you should read this, thank you for being awesome. Thank you for taking your life, your highlights and your lowly mistakes, and putting them on paper for the world to read. Mike Myers had it right when he said you needed to write a book. You have a story that definitely needed to be told, and I'm glad it did. I have a new outlook on life now. As you said, Life isn't unfair, it's just life. Make of it what you can.

1 comment:

  1. Rob Lowe has been my favorite since I was a kid in the 80's. I will always hold him in the highest esteem. Now as an adult, I have read his book over and over and enjoy the audiobook, which he narrates wonderfully. Thank you for writing such a nice review of my new favorite book, (replacing Catcher in the Rye). He is a fantastic and beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete